Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Homemade Heating Pad

Because it is the week of Thanksgiving, and I have plenty of vacation, I took the whole week off of work.  I've been doing little things around the house.  Today I decided to tackle a project that I've been putting off, more so because I haven't purchased all of the supplies needed.  I wanted to use deer corn, because rice tends to hold moisture and will become moldy over time.  The only problem with deer corn is that I had to buy a 40 pound bag!  

I made a heating pad for my husband, thanks to Pinterest and this website.  I followed the directions, for the most part.  Below are the changes that I made:  
 - Cut two 17"x8" pieces of flannel, to get the most out of my fabric
 - Did not serge the edges (I don't own a serger)
 - Used 3 1/4 cups Deer Corn instead of rice
 - Added Melaleuca oil (it smells so good)
 - Divided the pad into 3 sections instead of 6, using a little over 1 cup of corn per section

Here is the finished product.  
I am pretty impressed with myself, it came out better than I expected.  The whole project took approximately 2 hours, total cost was about $1.25 each.    

No comments:

Post a Comment